|Division of Decimals by whole number:|
- To divide a decimal by a whole number, we divide the whole number part of the dividend first. After that a decimal is placed and the decimal part of the dividend is divided.
- When the whole number part of the dividend is less than the divisor, we first place a 0 followed by the decimal and the dividend is divided as usual.
- Look at the dividend, start with the leftmost digit
- Since 7 < 12, the divisor 12 goes 0 times into 7. We place 0 in the quotient in the ones place.
- We then put a decimal point at the right of 0 in the quotient and divide as usual.
- Divide 6 by 5 and the remainder is 1, then decimal point is put in the quotient after 1.
- Bring the next digit 2 down, divide 12 by 5, the remainder is 2.
- To divide the last remainder 2, we put a 0 at the end of the dividend and the remainder to get 20.
- 20 divided by 5 gives 4 and the remainder is 0.
Directions: Divide the following. Also write at least 5 examples of your own.