- Read the problem carefully and note down what is given and what is required.
- Select a letter say x or y or z to represent the unknown quantity asked for.
- Represent the word statements of the problems in the symbolic language step by step.
- Look for quantities which are equal as per conditions given and form an equation.
- Solve the equation.
- Verify the result for making sure that your answer satisfies the requirements of the problems.
Example: Half of a certain number added to its one third makes it 40. What is the number.
Let the number be x.
Half of the number = x/2
One third of the number = x/3
As per condition of the problem
x/2 + x/3 = 40 ..........I
L.C.M. of the denominators 2 and 3 is 6.
Multiplying both sides of the equation by 6, we get
(3x+2x)/6 = 40
5x/6 = 40
5x = 40 * 6
5x = 240
x = 240/5
x = 48
Substituting x = 48 in the equation I
L.H.S. = x/2 + x/3 = 48/2 + 48/3 = 24 + 16 = 40 = R.H.S.
Therefore x = 48 is the required number.
Directions: Solve the following word problems. Also write at least ten examples of your own.