- A ratio is a relationship between two quantities of the same kind.
- The ratio between a and b is written as a:b. The colon (:) stands for ratio.
- In the ratio a:b, a and b are called its terms. The first term of the ratio, 'a' is called the "antecedent" and the second term, 'b' is called the "consequent".
- In the ratio 5:7, 5 is the antecedent and 7 is the consequent and this is read as 5 is to 7.
- Ratio is another name for fraction.
Scale Drawing: A proportional drawing of something that is larger or smaller than actual size.
- A proportion is an equation with a ratio on each side.
- It is a statement that two ratios are equal. 3/4 = 6/8 is an example of a proportion.
- To solve the proportion when one of the four numbers in a proportion is unknown, cross multiplication is used.
Unit Rate: A rate that has a denominator of 1.
- The ratio of two measurements in different units.
- A rate is a ratio that expresses how long it takes to do something, such as traveling a certain distance.
- To walk 2 miles in one hour is to walk at the rate of 2 miles/h. The fraction expressing a rate has units of distance in the numerator and units of time in the denominator.
Percent: A part of a whole that is expressed in hundredth.
Probability: The ratio of the number of ways an event can happen to the total number of possible outcomes.
Kim has a bag with 3 candies, 4 pencils, 7 books, and 1 sharpener. What is the ratio of books to pencils?
Express ratio as a fraction, with the numerator equal to the first quantity and the denominator equal to the second, the solution is 7/4.
It is also expressed as 7 to 4, and 7:4.
Directions: Choose the correct answer for the following. Also write at least ten examples of your own.