|Did you ever wonder what happens to the food you eat? Or, why stars twinkle at night? Or, how airplanes fly?
If you want answers to questions like the above, you need to study science. Science is a method of learning about the world in a systematic way. The method used in science is called the scientific method.
The scientific method is a systematic approach involving the following steps:
1. Observe some aspect of the universe.
2. Invent a tentative description, called a hypothesis, that is consistent with what you have observed.
3. Use the hypothesis to make predictions.
4. Test those predictions by experiments or further observations.
5. Make any adjustments to the hypothesis and formulate scientific laws.
Science is roughly divided into three branches called Physical Sciences, Earth Sciences, and Life Sciences.
- Physical Science deals with matter and energy and allows us to describe the universe in terms of weight, mass, volume, and other measures.
- Earth Science describes the Earth, its atmosphere, and the solar system to which it belongs.
- Life Science describes living things and their relationship to each other and the environment.
Directions: Answer the following multiple choice questions. Write about the scientific method in your own words.