|Radicals (square roots, cube roots, fourth root etc) or Fractional exponents|
- A fractional exponent like 1/n means to take the nth root
nÖx = x1/n
- Number to power of half is the square root
Ö4 = 41/2
- Number to the power of 1/3 is the cube root
3Ö8 = 81/3
- Number to the power of 1/4 is the fourth root
4Ö16 = 161/4
- In a fractional exponent, the top number is the power, and the lower number is the root.
In the fractional exponent 2/3, 2 is the power and 1/3 is the cube root
we can either find the cube root of 8 first or square 8 first
(81/3)2 = 22 = 4
(82)1/3 = 3Ö64 = 4
- Decimal powers can be written as fractional exponents.
40.5 = 41/2 = 2
- Do not write square root of a negative number.
They are expressed as complex numbers.
Directions: Answer the following questions. Also write at least ten examples for fractional exponents - square roots, cube roots, fourth root and decimal exponents.